Current:Home > reviewsPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -Capitatum
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 15:59:30
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- AP PHOTOS: Moscow hosts a fashion forum with designers from Brazil, China, India and South Africa
- Where to watch 'The Polar Express': Streaming info, TV channel showtimes, cast
- Mike McCarthy's return from appendectomy could be key to Cowboys' massive matchup vs. Eagles
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Former Black Panther convicted in 1970 bombing of Nebraska officer dies in prison
- Germany’s Scholz confident of resolving budget crisis, says no dismantling of the welfare state
- Tensions are soaring between Guyana and Venezuela over century-old territorial dispute
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Amanda Bynes Returns to the Spotlight With Her Own Podcast and New Look
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- A year after lifting COVID rules, China is turning quarantine centers into apartments
- Norman Lear's son-in-law, Dr. Jon LaPook, reflects on the legendary TV producer's final moments: He was one of my best friends
- Captive in a chicken coop: The plight of debt bondage workers
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Heisman odds: How finalists stack up ahead of Saturday's trophy ceremony
- Wisconsin university regents reject deal with Republicans to reduce diversity positions
- Eagles security guard DiSandro banned from sideline for Sunday Night Football vs. Cowboys
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
The State Department approves the sale of tank ammunition to Israel in a deal that bypasses Congress
Why Shohei Ohtani will be worth every penny of $700 million contract for Los Angeles Dodgers
UN says the Taliban must embrace and uphold human rights obligations in Afghanistan
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Eagles head of security Dom DiSandro banned from sideline for Sunday's game vs. Cowboys
Krys Marshall Reveals This Episode of For All Mankind Was the Hardest Yet
Anthony Davis leads Lakers to NBA In-Season Tournament title, 123-109 over Pacers